Zucchini Soup with Basil
How about a glass of my pinot grigio with this!
15min prep time
50-60min cook time
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 5 zucchinis, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 2 eggs
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and some butter in a heavy, deep pan. Fry the chopped onion in the oil and butter over low heat until golden, but not brown.
- Add the sliced zucchini, mix well and fry on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes to the pan and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes before adding the chicken stock. Bring to a boil slowly, cover the pan with a lid and simmer over medium heat for 40 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor to obtain a smooth mixture.
- Place the basil in a bowl with the garlic, eggs, remaining butter and the Parmesan. Beat with a wooden spoon or whisk.
- Trickle the soup into the beaten egg mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently over low heat.
- Serve it hot with some freshly grated parmesan cheese
- P.S. You can garnish the soup with some crispy pieces of bacon or pancetta if you wish!