Tuscan chickpea and pastina soup
15min prep time
20min cook time
- 1 ½ cups of canned chickpeas
- 6-7 cups liquid: water or chicken broth
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 large carrot, chopped small
- 1 ½ celery stalk, chopped small
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 648ml jar of Stefano Tomato Basil sauce
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup pasta; anellini work well
- Grated parmesan or pecorino, if desired
- Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas well.
- In a large heavy bottomed soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, cook 1 minute; then add the carrot and celery and cook 4 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté one more minute.
- Add the jar of sauce and 6 cups of liquid. Stir well. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes adding more water or broth if it seems low. It is not a very liquid mixture.
- Add 1 tsp. or more of sea salt, a few grinds of fresh black pepper, chick peas and the pasta. Cook pasta for the time indicated on the box.
- Turn off and let rest a few minutes before serving. Be sure to taste the soup and adjust the seasoning.