Spicy Italian Sausage Risotto with Asparagus
10min prep time
20min cook time
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 package (500g ) Stefano spicy Italian sausages, casings removed
- 45ml (3tbsp) Shallots, finely chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) Leeks, finely chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) white wine
- 375ml (1 ½ cups) arborio rice
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1lb (15 spears) asparagus, tips reserved, spears cut into small coins
- 45ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 45ml (3tbsp) grated parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large, high-sided saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Crumble the sausage into the pan and cook, breaking up any large pieces and stirring occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and crisp at the edges, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat chicken stock over medium-low heat.
- Add shallots and leeks to the sausages and cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-low heat until translucent, stirring often.
- Add Arborio rice, lightly toast for 2-3 minutes before deglazing the pan with white wine.
- Add 1 ladle of stock, stirring continuously, until the stock is absorbed. Add an additional ladle of stock and repeat until each addition of stock is absorbed, stirring continuously. Continue until the rice is al dente, adding the asparagus coins 2 minutes before the rice is almost cooked.
- Add butter and parmesan, stir vigorously and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a lid and let the risotto rest for 1 minute.
- In the meantime, in a separate frying pan saute asparagus tips in butter just until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate risotto, top with asparagus tips and more freshly grated parmesan before serving.