Spicy clam and corn chowder
10min prep time
40min cook time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 lb lean bacon, chopped
- 4 large ears corn on the cob, kernels cut off and cobs scraped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 to 4 small ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 648ml jar of Stefano Arrabbiata sauce
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a soup pot or a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the corn and cook until the kernels are lightly browned at the edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Add thyme, garlic, celery, bay leaves and onions, and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and Stefano Arrabiata sauce. Bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- To finish the chowder: Place the clams and wine in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, and season with sea salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil, then cook at a rapid simmer until the clams open, 3 to 5 minutes. Discard any unopened clams.
- Divide the clams and the cooking liquid among 4 shallow bowls. Ladle the corn chowder over top.