10min prep time
15min cook time
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup finely grated pecorino
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan
- 175g (6 oz) guanciale (or pancetta), cut in small cubes
- 454 g of Stefano spaghetti
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Before draining, reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over low heat and add the guanciale. Cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add several tablespoons of pasta cooking water to the guanciale and deglaze the frying pan.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, cheeses and a good pinch of black pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta to the frying pan and toss to coat it well in the rendered fat from the guanciale.
- Remove skillet from heat and add the egg and cheese mixture and toss vigorously with tongs until sauce coats pasta. Add a little bit of reserved pasta water, one tablespoon at a time, if the pasta appears too dry.
- Plate and garnish with more freshly grated cheese and black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.