15min prep time
20min cook time
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add guanciale or pancetta and sauté
- until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add sauce, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Before draining, reserve about 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Add drained pasta to sauce in frying pan and toss vigorously with tongs to coat. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and cook until sauce coats pasta, about 2 minutes. (Add a little pasta water if sauce is too dry.)
- Stir in cheese and transfer pasta to bowls. Top with more cheese if desired and serve.