Sicilian eggplant sandwich
15min prep time
10min cook time
- 2 large eggplants, washed and cut into 1 cm slices
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) Stefano extra-virgin olive oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) breadcrumbs
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- 250 ml (1 cup) Stefano Tomato Basil sauce
- 8 slices prosciutto cotto (Italian cooked ham)
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the olive oil. Then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat. Once ready, grill the breaded eggplant slices until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Once all the slices are cooked, set aside.
- Place 2 slices each of the Provolone and prosciutto cotto between 2 slices of the eggplant, creating a sandwich.
- Place sandwiches on the grill and cook until the cheese has melted,
1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the tomato basil sauce.
- Cut each sandwich in half and and put 60 ml (1/4 cup) of tomato sauce on each plate. Place the sandwich on top and serve.