Shakshuka with green chili zhoug
20min prep time
35min cook time
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 648ml jar of Stefano arrabbiata sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne, or to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Green Chili Zhoug (recipe below)
Green chili zhoug ingredients
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add garlic, cumin, smoked and sweet paprika and cayenne and cook for an additional minute.
- Add 1 jar of arrabbiata sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes until it has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a spoon, make 6 wells in the sauce. Break an egg into each well, season with salt and pepper, and cover with a lid until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Sprinkle the top with crumbled feta and cilantro. Drizzle several spoonfuls of green chili zhoug on top of the shakshuka and serve.
Green chili zhoug preparation
- In a food processor, add all of the ingredients except the olive oil. Pulse until a coarse paste forms.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.