Sausage, kale, cannelini soup
15min prep time
35min cook time
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 500g of Stefano spicy Italian or classic Italian sausages removed out of casing
- 1 1/3 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 (14.5 oz cans) low-sodium chicken broth( or homemade )
- 1 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- ¾ cup (6 oz) kale, thick ribs removed, chopped (about 1 1/2 bunches)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- Shredded parmesan cheese , for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until slightly browned, tossing occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage, while leaving oil in pan, and drain sausage on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Return pot with oil to medium heat, add onion, and saute 3 minutes (while scraping bottom of pan to get the browned bits), add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Stir in chicken broth, the barley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and allow to gently boil 20 minutes. Add kale and allow to boil 10 minutes longer until kale is tender. Stir in cooked sausage and cannellini beans (you can add more broth at this point to thin if desired).
- Serve warm, top each serving with parmesan cheese.