15min prep time
1hmin cook time
- 1 Quebec rabbit, about 1.2 kg (2.5 lb), bone-in and cut into 6 pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) flour
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) Stefano olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 125 g bacon, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) white wine
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Salt, pepper and lightly flour the pieces of rabbit.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and butter and sear the meat on all sides. Remove the rabbit from the pan and set aside in a large baking dish.
- In the same frying pan, brown the onion, garlic, bacon and celery for 5 to 7 minutes. Deglaze with the wine and reduce until all liquid has evaporated. Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and rosemary and bring to a boil. Salt and pepper. Pour into the baking dish with the rabbit.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 15 minutes, or until the rabbit is golden brown. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve in the baking dish or on a plater with polenta and sautéed spinach.