Penne rigate with mushroom, sausage and sage
20min prep time
30min cook time
- 454gr of Stefano penne rigate
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Stefano classic Italian sausages, casings removed and crumbled
- ½ pound assorted fresh mushrooms (such as oyster, cremini, portobello), cut into large pieces
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- A pinch of chili flakes
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup Parmesan finely grated, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Before draining, reserve about 1 cup of the starchy pasta cooking water.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook the sausage until golden brown.Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to a paper towel lined plate.
- To the same sauce pan, add the shallots and mushrooms and cook until tender and golden brown.Add the sausage back in. Season with salt and pepper, sage and a pinch of chili flakes.
- Add marsala wine and simmer until it has reduced by half.
- Add the drained pasta, reserved pasta cooking water, butter and cheese to the sauce pan and toss to coat evenly, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Plate and serve the penne rigate with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.