Panettone bread pudding
15min prep time
40-60min cook time
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 to 8 slices of Stefano traditional panettone (Stefano chocolate panettone may also be used)
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Confectioners’ sugar, to garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a deep baking dish that will fit all the bread slices in a single layer, overlapping slightly, about 9 by 5 inches.
- Place the sliced panettone on a sheet pan and lightly toast it in the oven so that it’s still flexible, but dry to the touch, about 10 minutes. Arrange toast in the baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar and salt, then add the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Pour through a fine-mesh strainer over the panettone, allowing the excess mixture to fill up the pan. Sprinkle the almonds over top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the bread has soaked up all the custard and puffed up, and the custard is no longer runny.
- Allow to cool at least 30 minutes before serving, then use a fine-mesh sieve to dust all over with confectioners’ sugar and serve.