Pan-Seared Portobello Mushrooms with vegan bolognese
15min prep time
10min cook time
- 4–6 Portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and sliced in strips
- ½ jar (315 ml)Stefano vegan sausage & mushroom sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) chili flakes
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) walnuts
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) white miso
- 5 ml (1 tsp) nutritional yeast
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, prepare the marinade by combining garlic, parsley, extra virgin olive oil, salt, lemon juice and chili flakes.
- Pour several tablespoons of the marinade on top of the mushrooms on both sides. Reserve some of the marinade to use during cooking.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook the mushrooms by searing them on both sides until they are soft and tender. Pour the remaining marinade over the mushrooms 1–2 minutes before they are cooked.
- In a pot, heat half a jar of Stefano vegan sausage & mushrooms sauce over medium heat until it simmers.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine all of the plant-based topping ingredients. Pulse until the entire mixture is fully combined and uniform in texture. This mixture can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- To serve individual portions, spoon several tablespoons of Stefano vegan sausage & mushrooms on a plate, arrange slices of portobello mushrooms on top of the sauce in a fan and sprinkle with plant-based topping.