Perfect match with my nerello mascalese
15min prep time
5-8min cook time
- 1 cup+1 tbsp 00 flour
- 1 cup+ 5 tsp all-purpose flour, and extra for work surface
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- About 1 cup (200g) lukewarm water
- ¾ tsp dry, active yeast
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 heaping tbsp of Stefano pizza sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 85g fresh mozzarella
- 4-5 basil leaves, torn by hand
- In a large bowl, combine flours and salt.
- In another smaller bowl, combine water, yeast and 1 tsp of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the liquid mix to the dry mix.
- Knead the mix by hand, about 3 minutes, ensuring all ingredients are well incorporated. Let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Knead again for 3 minutes. Divide dough into 2 equal parts and shape into balls.
- Place the dough on a well-floured work surface, cover with damp cloth and let rise at room temperature for 3-4 hours. (You may also refrigerate the dough from 8 to 24 hours. When ready to use, the dough must come to room temperature for 30-45 minutes before use).
- Preheat oven at 500F.
- Place a pizza stone on the middle oven rack and heat for at least 1 hour.
- Place each ball on a well-floured workspace and, using fingers, stretch out the dough in all directions at first. Then shape into circle or square, as desired.
- Put the sauce in the middle of the stretched-out dough and, using the back of a spoon, spread it on the surface, leaving a ½ inch border for the crust.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Break up mozzarella in big chunks and place them on the sauce. Add basil leaf pieces.
- Using a pizza peel, slide one pizza on the stone in the oven. Bake 4 to 8 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.