macaroni and cheese gratin
10min prep time
20min cook time
- 1 ½ tbsp salt
- 230gr Stefano macaroni
- ½ cup grated Gruyère cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cup grated cheddar
- 2 cups heavy cream 35%
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F (or 180C).
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 liters of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until barely al dente, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir the grated cheeses together. Set aside.
- Drain the macaroni and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat the cream with a pinch of salt. Once cream starts to simmer, add the pasta. Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add about 1/3 of the cheese mix to the macaroni. Stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and add another 1/3 of the cheese mixture to the macaroni. Combine well.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining cheese mixture.
- Transfer macaroni mixture to an oven-safe baking dish (about 6-8 inches).
- Top the pasta with the cheese and breadcrumb mixture in an even layer. Do not stir.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.