Sausage burgers with fennel slaw
45min prep time
10min cook time
- 1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1 package ounces of Stefano Italian sausages (mild or spicy), removed from casing and formed into 4 patties
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 bread rolls
- Combine vinegar, sugar, oil, pepper and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Add fennel and onion, tossing to combine.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
- Prepare and warm grill.
- Place sausage patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 5 minutes on each side.
- Top each patty with 1 slice of cheese; grill 1 to 2 minutes until cheese melts and burgers are cooked.
- Place rolls, cut sides down, on grill rack; grill 1 minute or until toasted.
- Remove slaw with a slotted spoon, arrange about ½ cup slaw on bottom half of each roll; top with patty and finish burger.