Hazelnut cocoa linzer cookies
1h15min prep time
8min cook time
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 1/2 cup Stefano hazelnut cocoa spread
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the nuts, flour, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted and pulse until the nuts are finely ground, as powdery as you can get them without letting them turn to a paste.
- Place butter and both sugars in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat it until light and creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add yolks and vanilla, then beat until incorporated, about another 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle ground hazelnuts and other dry ingredients over butter mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out the first dough until 1/4-inch thick. Use a 2-inch cutter to cut out rounds of dough.
- Use a smaller cookie cutter (a 3/4-inch is ideal) to remove the centers of half of the cookies, creating ring shapes that will later form the lids. If the dough becomes too soft as you’re using it, just slip it into the freezer for a few minutes so that it firms up again.
- Bake cookies until golden at edges, rotating trays as needed, about 8 to 9 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Repeat with remaining dough.
- If powdering the linzer lids, arrange the ring-shaped cookies, on a baking rack with a tray or paper underneath to catch the mess. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Spread each of the cookie bases with about 1 teaspoon hazelnut cocoa spread. Fit a ring-shaped lid on each.
- Cookies will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for several days.