15min prep time
20min cook time
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 648ml jar of Stefano Tomato Basil sauce
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp drained capers
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Toasted pine nuts
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add eggplant, onion, and garlic cloves. Sauté until eggplant is soft and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the jar of Stefano tomato basilic sauce, then red wine vinegar and drained capers. Cover and simmer until eggplant and onion are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Season caponata to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in fresh basil.
- Transfer caponata to serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold. (Caponata can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)