Chicken and sausage fideos
25min prep time
60min cook time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Stefano spicy Italian sausages, casings removed, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless with skin on
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 454gr of Stefano spaghetti pasta, broken into 3-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- ½ cup of frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Saffron Aioli (recipe below)
Saffron aïoli ingredients
- 1 pinch of saffron (about 8 threads)
- ½ teaspoon hot water
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, season the chicken thighs with paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Fry the sausage, turning them over every couple of minutes until they are brown and crispy on the exterior. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, brown the chicken skin side down undisturbed for 10-12 minutes until the skin is golden brown. Remove chicken once browned and set aside skin side up.
- In the same skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low and add the broken pasta. Sautee for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add onion, leek, garlic and tomato paste and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the juice of ½ lemon and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth, increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer for 1-2 minutes. Stir to combine, season with salt and pepper to taste and spread in an even layer.
- Nestle the sausage and chicken thighs into the pasta as well as any juices, arranging chicken skin side up.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for about 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, pasta has absorbed the liquid and the top has browned.
- Remove from the oven, add peas and chopped parsley. Garnish with lemon wedges, parsley and dollops of saffron aioli. Serve.
Saffron aïoli preparation
- Infuse saffron threads in hot water for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients including the saffron water until well combined and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate.