cabbage soup with meatballs
20min prep time
30min cook time
- 450g Stefano pesto meatballs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), trimmed, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 1 small Savoy cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 7 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream 35%
- 4 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut each meatball into 4 pieces and shape each piece into a little ball.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil and once hot, brown half of the meatballs, turning once and reducing heat if they start browning too fast. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining meatballs.
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots and leeks and cook, stirring, until leeks are soft but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and cook from 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add broth, cover, and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is quite tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the browned meatballs to the soup and cook, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cream, 3 tbsp of chopped parsley and nutmeg.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp. parsley to garnish.