Braised Endive with ham and Gruyère
15min prep time
1h30min cook time
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 ½ tbsp salt
- 8 large yellow endive, trimmed
- 240g thinly sliced ham (French, Black Forest, etc.)
- 1 jar Stefano Alfredo sauce
- 1 ½ cup (6 oz) grated Gruyère cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot, combine the butter, sugar, salt and 10 ½ cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Add the endive, cover, and cook until very tender when pierced with a knife. This will take about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Transfer the endive to paper towels to drain them of any excess liquid. Reserve 1 ¼ cups of the cooking liquid.
- Once the endives have cooled enough to handle, squeeze out as much liquid as possible from them.
- Wrap each endive with slices of ham. Arrange the endive in a shallow baking dish large enough so that all of the endive snugly fit with no space between them.
- Pour Alfredo sauce over the endives and spread to cover them evenly. Sprinkle with the Gruyere evenly.
- Place the dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.